Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Boys' Orphanage and the Girl's Orphanage

I visited the girl's orphanage, Madre Del Redentor. All the girls are rescued from  In a couple of weeks, the girls there will receive computers and other equipment in order to make them more employable. Since the orphanage only has funds to keep them until they are 18 years old, it is important to learn what skills they know now and what skills they can have later in order to make sure that they have a better future. Because they have no marketable skills, many of them do not get jobs when they leave the orphanage.

After breakfast, Michael, Thomas, Rustin (Sacred Heart School, California), Erin (St. John Baptist, Oklahoma) and I (Ignatious, Bellarmine College Preparatory, San Jose, CA) board on the truck to visit Madre Del Redentor. 

The girls invited us to join in their welcome dance. It looks like a handkerchief dance to me.




After the welcome dance, we unload all the clothes, lollipops and books. These are the things that we have brought for them.

Helping the girls to choose the correct size. All the blouses and t-shirts are donated items from US.


Handing out lollipops to the girls.


Luckily I have enough lollipops for all the girls. Before, I know it all the lollipops that I have brought with me are gone.


Next are the books that I have read as a boy. Simple picture books that the girls might find it interesting enough to spark their interest in learning English.
 All the books will stay at their library. I am happy to share my favorite books with them like Berenstein Bears, etc..
This is the library of Madre del Redentor.  My childhood books are now at Piura, Peru. I hope that the girls will enjoy the books and catch a glimpse of the American culture. I would like to return and donate more books to them. Education is the only way to enhance their life.

Right now, the girls at the orphanage have school taught by the nuns. They also learn sowing and sell clothing that they make for extra money. However, donations are greatly appreciated. The orphanage definitely could use some computers so that the girls could learn typing skills because they have no interaction with technology right now. Despite their circumstances, they're all very happy and they're very grateful for what life has given them!

We were given a tour of the orphanages. All of them are happy to show us their living quarters, classroom, kitchen and library.

Touring the orphanage


This is their classroom. Very basic but functional.




The girls are happy to show me their Math workbook. They have the same Algebra as in US except that it is in Spanish.
With my broken Spanish I told them that I learnt the same thing at school.

This is their bedroom.


Miraculously, they manage to change into their new clothes. The girls are now wearing the blouses and t-shirts that we have given to them.


Time went by so fast. It's time to say goodbye to all of them.
The boys orphanage was equally inspiring. The boys orphanage has 20 boys in total and all of them are extremely positive attitudes. All of them goes to school. This orphanage is solely run by a Peruvian family.  They loved sharing their stories with us and they also loved to hear about our stories as well.

The boys are eager to help me to carry my suitcase. These are my clothes that  are definitely too small for me.

Introductions!
Listening to their stories

Getting ready to distribute and say goodbye to my old clothes.



All of them are eager to see what I have brought. I wish I have brought more candy from US. I   have given it all at the girls orphanages. Sorry, none for the boys.

Fortunately I have some writing materials: crayons, pencils, pens and coloring pencils.
The younger boys are more into crayons and coloring pencils while the older boys loves the pens.

I thought I have enough clothes for everyone but one suitcase of clothes is just not enough for all of them.

So, we went back again. This time, we have Chris from Oklahoma to help us in our mission. This is our second trip to the orphanage. Now, all of them are proud to wear the clothes that we have brought for them.  Coincidentally, I am also wearing the same color.... 


No comments:

Post a Comment