Thursday, June 13, 2013

Broken Glasses and More Deliveries to La Legua and La Piedra

Today, my glasses broke. However, I was extremely lucky that the 'Eye Mission' from Oklahoma was present, because one of them, Jim, managed to fix the screw of my glasses. Unfortunately, that soon popped out when we fixed the next segment of my glasses, so I had to wait for either super glue or a wire that I could tie tight around the screw hole. Thanks Jim! I would have definitely been visually impaired for the next couple of days had I not gotten amazing advice from you.

Luckily, Johnny had spare ethernet cable that I could use. I stripped one of the wires, pulled a copper section out, and then finally wound the strip tightly around the screw hole. Fortunately, it was tight enough that it fit, and hasn't caused my glasses to spontaneously fall apart since!
The ethernet cable and me holding a part that I separated out

The wire, pliers, screwdrivers, and FIXED glasses!
Jim's most insightful advice didn't come from his knowledge of how to fix glasses though. He reminded me of Saul's inspiration that he gained while he was blind. This bit of knowledge really got me thinking about my purpose here in Peru. If I really had no way to fix my glasses again, what would I have done for the next few days? Doing every day's work here in Peru really need glasses.  If I needed to fix a couple more computers for the missionaries here, I definitely could just hold the screen closer to my face or just close one eye. Having broken glasses is a huge handicapped and I learned that having perfect sight is a privilege. This experience also made me extremely thankful for the doctors and nurses on the eye mission. They decided to make other people's lives better by improving their vision.

After I resolved the broken glasses incident and gained some valuable insight on life, I went to deliver food packages to families in La Legua with Megan and Isabel! I felt that this trip of delivering food packages was even more meaningful because we added a prayer with each family, which made each family visit extremely special. Some of the families we visited were near the school Madre del buen Consejo, and the parents were attending the church nearby so only the kids were present. Their maturity was definitely amazing and I loved talking to the kids.



Pictures with the family (no parents!)
During this trip, I got a better glimpse of the family's life than I did before. Those that live closer to town opened stores to make extra income to support their family. The children stated that they helped to run the stores and watched the house in general when the parents are away. Again, all of them expressed that they loved receiving food and that the food really helps them both financially and emotionally (LESS WORRIES).

Bringing food into a family's house
Another picture with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment